1981 Command Narrative

27 July 1982
Commanding Officer, USS WADDELL (DDG 24)

The Command History of USS Waddell for calendar year 1981 is divided into seven sections as follows:

A. Chronology of Events

B. Basic Narrative

C. Engineering Department

D. Weapons Department

E. Operations Department

F.Supply Department

G. Wardroom Roster

Chronology of Events

01-04JAN Inport Leave and upkeep period
05-09JAN Underway Refresher Training
10-11JAN Inport IPT, San Diego, CA
12-16JAN Underway Refresher Training
17-18JAN Inport IPT, San Diego, CA
19-23JAN Underway Refresher Training
24JAN - 08 FEB Inport Upkeep San Diego CA
09-13FEB Underway COMPTUEX 2-81
04FEB - 08 MAR Inport Upkeep, San Diego, CA
09-19 MAR Underway READIEX 4-81
19 MAR Inport Weapons Onload, Seal Bch
19 MAR Underway Underway for San Diego CA
19 MAR - 20 APR Inport Inport-POM San Diego CA
13 APR Underway Shakedwon Cruise
21-27 APR Underway TRANSITEX 81-11
28-29 APR Inport Inport Pearl Harbor, HI
30 APR - 03 MAY Underway MIDPAC Operations
03 MAY Inport BSF - Pearl Harbor, HI
03-24 MAY Underway TRANSITEX 81-11
25 MAY - 10 JUN Inport Upkeep SAsebo, Japan
10-12 JUN Underway Underway for Pusan, Korea
13-17 JUN Inport Port Call Pusan, Korea
18-23 JUN Underway ASWEX 81-2K
23 JUN Inport Hot Wash-up Chinhae, Korea
23-27 JUN Underway Underway for Subic Bay PI
27 JUN - 07 JUL Inport Upkeep-Subic Bay, PI
07-17 JUL Underway MULTIPLEX 81-4
17-22 JUL Inport Port Call Hong Kong, B.C.
23-24 JUL Underway Underway for Subic Bay PI
25-30 JUL Inport Upkeep-Subic Bay, PI
31 JUL - 04 AUG Underway ASWEX 81-3
04-18 AUG Inport Upkeep-Subic Bay PI
19-23 AUG Underway Underway for Singapore
24-28 AUG Inport Upkeep-Singapore
29-31 AUG Underway Underway for Pattaya Bch, Thailand
01-04 SEP Inport Port Call-Pattaya Bch, Thailand
05-12 SEP Underway Underway for Yokosuka, JA
13 SEP Inport BSF - Yokosuka, JA
13-14 SEP Underway Underwy Hakadote, JA
15-17 SEP Inport Port Call Hakadote, JA
18-19 SEP Underway Underway for Yokosuka, JA
19-21 SEP Inport Upkeep- Yokosuka, Japan
22-27 SEP Underway JMS DF EX 56G
28 SEP - 01 OCT Underway Underway for Yokosuka, JA
01-05 OCT Inport Upkeep - Yokosuka, Japan
06-14 OCT Underway TRANSITEX to Pearl Harbor, HI
14 OCT Inport Inport Pearl Harbor, HI
15-21 OCT Underway TRANSITEX to S DIEGO
21 OCT - 22 NOV Inport Leave and Upkeep period San Diego, CA
23 NOV Underway SOCAL OPS
24 NOV Inport Weapons offload - Seal Beach, CA
25-26 NOV Inport Inport - San Diego, CA
27 NOV Underway SOCAL OPS
27 NOV Inport Inport - San Diego, CA
28 NOV Underway SOCAL OPS
28-30 NOV Inport Inport - San Diego, CA
1 DEC Underway Underway Material Inspection
2-31 DEC Inport Leave and Upkeep San Diego, CA

Basic Narrative.

The year 1981 proved to be a highly challenging and rewarding one, as WADDELL smoothly progressed through each of three different phases of operations:  pre-deployment exercises, a six month Western Pacific deployment and a successful INSURV.  The year started with three weeks of Refresher Training which set the tempo for all subsequent operations.  WADDELL's crew proved its flexibility for handling a variety of exercises of REFTRA in a competent manner.  Following the scheduled exercises of COMPTUEX 2-81  and READIEX 4-81, two upkeep periods and a weapons onload at Seal Beach, California, WADDELL deployed on 21 April to the Western Pacific.  TRANSITEX 81-11 found WADDELL in the role of task group commander to Pearl Harbor.  Following intense operations in the Sea of Okhotsk and Sea of Japan, WADDELL underwent a 14 day upkeep in Sasebo Japan.  The ship's first liberty port was Pusan, Korea.  Pusan proved to be an exciting city with numerous bargains, especially clothing and shoes.  Following major exercises with the Korean and Japanese Navies, the ship had an extensive upkeep in Subic Bay, Philippines and exciting port calls to Hong Kong, Singapore, and Pattaya Beach, Thailand.  After a good will port call to Hakadote, Japan and a major JMSDF-US joint exercise, WADDELL returned home to San Diego with a highly experienced crew.  WADDELL completed a full weapons off-load at Seal Beach, California and commenced INSURV preparations.  1981 closed out with a successful INSURV, as WADDELL was found fit for further service.

Engineering Department.

During the month of January, the Engineering Department was engaged in pre-deployment operations and training, culminating in Refresher Training which was conducted from 5-23 January.  After successful completion of Refresher Training, WADDELL returned to San Diego to prepare for two upkeep period in February.  On 28 January, LCDR Roy A. DELAUDER relived LCDR Kevin J. TACKETT as WADDELL's Chief Engineer.

In February, the Engineering Department continued with pre-deployment preparations, including the inspection of two main propulsion boilers.  On 24 February 1A and 2A Boilers were inspected by COMNAVSURFPAC Boiler Inspectors and both boilers were certified safe to stream after correction of identified discrepancies.

WADDELL deployed 21 April and, after a brief stop in Pearl Harbor, HAWAII for fuel and voyage repairs, conducted a three week transit to Sasebo Japan.  During this transit the Engineering plant performed reliably, suffering a minimum of casualties while underway.  Single boiler operations were conducted for part of the transit.  A feedwater control casualty caused the only complete loss of the engineering plan underway during the entire deployment.  The emergency auxiliary plant performed satisfactorily, fires were quickly relit and the boiler was brought back on the line with minimum amount of time lost.

The fifteen day Upkeep period in Sasebo Japan was considered extremely successful by all concerned with SRF Det Sasebo Japan proving itself an enthusiastic and capable repair facility.  Many jobs which were unable to be completed in San Diego, and virtually all repairs required by casualties suffered during the transit, were completed.  The Engineers plant departed Sasebo in as good condition as that in which it left San diego over six weeks before.

WADDELL arrived in Subic Bay, Philippines for a ten day upkeep after brief stops in Pusan and Chinhae Korea.  The effectiveness of this upkeep was greatly reduced by the fact the ship was required to shift berths six times in five days to remain sheltered from typhoons in the area.

The remainder of the deployment consisted of port calls in Hong Kong, Pattaya Beach Thailand, and Hakodate Japan and Upkeep period in Subic Bay, Singapore, Yokosuka Japan.  During the transits associated with these port visits the engineering plant operated very reliably.  The major underway casualty of this period was to number 1 evaporator requiring dissassembly and descaling of the first and second state flash chambers, and location and repair of several air leaks.  Thanks to a round the clock maintenance effort the evaporator was repaired and back on the line within 14 hours.

The return to San Diego from Yokosuka was uneventful from an engineering point of view with the only major problem being an excessively noisy port steering motor resulting in that motor being available for emergencies only.

After arrival in San Diego on 21 October the Engineering Department prepared for and completed an emergency diesel inspection on 2-5 November conducted by COMNAVSURFPAC Diesel Inspectors, and an inspection of 2B Main Propulsion Boiler conducted on 5 November by COMNAVSURFPAC Boiler Inspectors.  Following these inspections the Engineering Department continued with extensive preparations for the INSURV inspection scheduled for 30 November - 4 December.  As a result of the INSURV WADDELL was found fit for further service.  1B Main Propulsion Boiler was inspected on 2 December.  Both 1B and 2B Boilers were certified safe to steam after correction of identified discrepancies.

The remainder of 1981 was devoted to making preparations for the PRAV scheduled to commence 4 January and in preparing for the OPPRE, scheduled to be conducted in early 1982.

Weapons Department

ASW.  The year 1981 got off to a slow start as WADDELL did poorly on the ASW portion of Refresher Training in January.  This performance was attributed to problems in CIC, however, there were no discrepancies in Sonar Underwater Battery, Fire Control Torpedo or ASROC procedures.  The following month WADDELL was assisted by the Nuclear Weapons Assist Team (NWAT) and was judged ready to continue making preparations towards nuclear certification.  On March 5 and 6 the most important inspection of the year for F-2 Division was held; the Nuclear Weapons Acceptance Inspection (NWAI).  After two days of exhausting review of all aspects of nuclear weapons handling procedures and administration, the inspection team assigned WADDELL a grade of Satisfactory (Support Unsatisfactory).  Support was judged unsatisfactory due to an excessive weight test performed on the ASROC Handling Sling (MK 199) by Puget Sound Naval Shipyard.  Overall the inspection was judged most successful.  On the 14th of the same month WADDELL fired an exercise ASROC and exercise torpedo at the USS ETHAN ALLEN during READIEX 4-81.  Both shots were evaluated as hits and the men of F-2 Division were now fully trained and ready to deploy except for an ammunition loadout.  On the 19th of March this problem was solved by on-loading torpedoes and ASROCS to full capacity at Naval Weapons Station, Seal Beach, California.  While on deployment from 21 April 1981 to 21 October 1981, WADDELL participated in several fleet exercises and operated against both American and Japanese submarines.  A high point occurred in September while in the Southern Sea of Japan when a Soviet "WHISKEY" class submarine was sighted on the surface and WADDELL surveilled this submarine until relieved by USS HARRY W. HILL (DD 986).  After return from the Western Pacific, WADDELL offloaded ASROCs and torpedoes to Naval Air Station North Island on 24 and 25 November.  F-2 Division finished out the year by preparing for the Board of Inspection and Survey (INSURV).

Missiles.  The start of 1981 saw a continuation of the intensive pre-deployment training period that had been in effect since September 1980.  During the first three months of 1981, REFTRA, COMPTUEX 2-81, CSRT, and  READIEX 4-81 provided the missile personnel outstanding opportunities for training.  There were numerous opportunites for tracking exercises and for live missile firings during this time frame.  Also during this period, WADDELL, became HARPOON certified for the first time.  After seven months of concentrated training, the deployment finally arrived.  After a brief stop in Pearl Harbor, WADDELL transited the Pacific for INCHOP into SEVENTH FLEET.  The transit provided outstanding training with numerous tracking exercises, over-the horizon targeting drills, and a live missile firing exercise.  An excellent upkeep by the repair facility in Sasebo, Japan, along with the hard work of the missile personnel, helped keep the missile system in a high state of combat readiness.  Following enjoyable port visits to Sasebo, Japan, Pusan, Korea, and Subic Bay, R.P., WADDELL participated in three major exercised, including combined exercises with both the Japanese and Korean Navies.  The missile crew gained valuable experience through the successful firings of two missiles during MULTIPLEX 81-4.  The missile personnel worked extremely hard in maintaining the remaining missile system in an operational status.  The crew enjoyed further port calls to Hong Kong, Singapore, Pattaya Beach, Thailand, Hakodate, and Yokosuka, Japan.  After a brief upkeep in Yokosuka the return transit was made to San Diego.  In the latter part of the deployment, missile system 2, the MK 13 Guided Missile Launching System, and the Guided Missile Training Round experienced major casualties.  These casualties were outstanding upon return to San Diego.  Once back in San Diego, the Missile Divison completed an ordnance off-load at Seal Beach, California and also completed a cross-deck transfer of missiles to the USS GEORGE PHILLIP (FFG 12).  Both of these evolutions provided excellent training and weapons handling experience.  The last month of the year was dedicated to INSURV preparations and Christmas leave and upkeep.  In tracking exercises, and various other exercises which were conducted on deployment were very satisfying, especially to those personnel that were on WADDELL through the yard period, the work-up period, and through the completion of the deployment.  The Missile Team developed into a finely tuned team, one that did much to further the reputation of the WARSHIP as the best DDG in the Fleet.

Guns.  In January WADDELL completed its Naval Gunfire Support (NGFS) qualifications and later provided NGFS spotter services to the 1st Marine Division.  To demonstrate at sea re-arming capability, WADDELL onloaded two pallets (96 rounds) of 5"/54 projectiles and three pallets (117 rounds) of full service charges during an underway replenishment with the USS KANSAS CITY.  WADDELL loaded out the magazines with partial onloads at Weapons Station, Seal Beach, California and NAS, North Island, California just prior to deployment.  While deployed to the Western Pacific the guns were fired on a frequent basis during Pre-Action Calibration Firings, competitive exercises, and "quickdraws" with other ships in company.  The guns fired a total of 834  projectiles during the year.  Although the guns and the MK 68 Gun Fire Control System suffered numerous casualties during 1981, every casualty was restored in an expeditious manner and every commitment was met.  In preparation for the upcoming Planned Restricted Availability, WADDELL conducted a complete ammunition offload at Weapons Station, Seal Beach, California.  More than 750 5"/54 projectiles and over 700 charges along with approximately 45,000 rounds of small arms ammunition were offloaded.  During INSURV, the inspectors stated that both 5"/54 MK 42 MOD 10 gun mounts were superior to 95% of the gun mounts they had inspected and that the MK 68 Gun Fire Control System was the best operating and preserved system they had seen in recent years.

Deck.  First Division hit the decks running in 1981 with three weeks of Refresher Training.  If experience was in short supply, morale and determination were not, and REFTRA proved to be a highly rewarding experience.  The division came together as a cohesive unit with one common goal...to be the best at what they do.  Winter turned to Spring and First Division responded to every call with a "can do" attitude.  Finally, 21 April arrived and the Warship deployed with anticipation and the spirit of adventure.  First Division was ready to go. Following a brief stop in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, the WADDELL joined the USS MISPILLION (AO-105), who would be with the task group through the Sea of Okhotsh.  Refueling became a regular and highly competitive evolution.  Day or night refueling and UNREPS became routine.  Eighteen VERTREPS took place without incident:  Most transfers were personnel related.  Later in the cruise, WADDELL had a unique opportunity to go alongside the JMSDF SAGAMI for a dry refueling hook up:  due to treaty limitations the pumping of fuel is prohibited.  Operating the ships boats overseas became a competitive evolution with the other ships.  The boats had many opportunities to work together that they seldom get back in the CONUS.  The opportunities to keep the ship looking good during the WESTPAC were rare.  Our longest upkeep period lasted 17 days in Sasebo, Japan early in the deployment.  Other port visits being too short or drenched by rain prevented a concerted effort on topside maintenance.  At sea the salt spray precluded all but essential maintenance.  The return transit to Hawaii, being smooth and uneventful, allowed the Boatswain's Mate to spruce up all topside spaces.  We embarked 25 Tigers in Hawaii and demonstrated many different deck evolutions while steaming back to San Diego, California.  First Division completed the year with an Underway Material Inspection followed by a Christmas leave and upkeep period.

Operations Department

The year 1981 started off at an exceptionally rapid pace, with the First Quarters operating schedule including Refresher Training, CSRT, COMPTUEX 2-81, AND READIEX 4-81.  WADDELL completed all required pre-deployment exercises on schedule and was well on the way toward a a most successful Western Pacific Deployment on 21 April 1981.  WADDELL assumed the role of Task Group Commander of the deployment group USS DECATUR (DDG 31), USS HARRY W. HILL (DD-986), USS BRADLEY (FF-1041), and USS RICHARD S. EDWARDS (DD-950).  TRANSITEX 81-11 proceeded extremely well as MIDPAC Operations were successfully completed off Hawaii.  The Task Group was joined by US NS MISSISSINEWA (T-AO-144) and transited through the Kuril Islands into the Sea of Okhotsk.  The Task Group was surveilled by numerous Soviet units, both air and surface.  The opportunity to conduct intelligence operations and RAINFORM reporting were at a peak level.  The Intelligence Collection Team was active throughout the transit through the Sea of Okhotsk and subsequent operations in the Sea of Japan.  After an upkeep period in Sasebo, Japan and liberty call in Pusan, Korea WADDELL participated in ASWEX 81-2K, a joint ROK and USN exercise.  The opportunity to work closely with ROK Naval units enabled WADDELL to gain invaluable experience in the area of Allied Naval tactics.  WADDELL then received another needed upkeep in Subic Bay.  Following the upkeep, WADDELL participated in major exercises such as MULTIPLEX 81-4, ASUEX 81-3 and other local operations.

WADDELL made port calls to Hong Kong (17-22 July) and conducted upkeeps in Subic Bay (25-30 July and 4-18 August) and Singapore (24-29 August).  WADDELL then proceeded north to Pattaya Beach, Thailand for what was considered the best liberty port call of the deployment.  WADDELL transited to Hakodate, Japan for an excellent good will port call.

The last major exercise of the deployment was JMS DF EX 56G, a highly integrated ASW, AAS and ASU exercise involving numerous units of the U.S. Navy and JMSDF.  Again valuable operational experience was gained.  After a short upkeep in Yokosuka, Japan (1-5 October), WADDELL assumed the role of Task Group Commander for TRANSITEX back to San Diego (via Pearl Harbor).  On 21 October WADDELL, DECATUR, BRADLEY and HARRY W. HILL returned to their homeport.  Between 21 October and 21 November the ship was in a leave and upkeep status.  WADDELL completed INSURV on 1 December and the ship was found operationally fit for further service by the PRESINSURVBD.  The remainder of the year was devoted to correcting INSURV discrepancies and enjoying a Christmas leave and upkeep period.

Supply Department

1981 was an exciting and challenging year for the Supply Department.  Our highlights included a Supply Management Inspection, On-site Disbursing Audit and a six month Western Pacific Deployment.  The early part of 1981 was loaded with inspections pre-deployment briefs, and more inspections.  By early April we were more than ready to begin our six month adventure into the Pacific Ocean.  As the deployment progressed the Supply Department consistently showed enthusiasm and newly acquired skills in handling anything that effected our department.

The Storekeepers under the expert guidance of the leading SK provided the necessary parts and supplies for the WADDELL but at times the entire SEVENTH FLEET as well.  We were christened with the nickname AOR-24 by many of the ships we sailed with during deployment.  The Mess Specialists maintained their excellent services during the deployment without one underway replenishment or vertical replenishment relying only on port visits for our sole source of resupply.  The Ship's Servicemen accomplished the impossible by not having one major piece of laundry equipment break down during the entire deployment  Combined with over $70,000 in sales from an eight foot by ten foot ship's store the services division had a very good year.  Last but, not least, the Disbursing Clerks made sure everybody had some money in their pockets before each new port of call.  1981 was a very successful and rewarding year.