1980 Command Narrative

10 June 1981
Commanding Officer, USS WADDELL (DDG 24)

The Command History of USS Waddell for calendar year 1980 is divided into seven sections as follows:

A. Chronology of Events

B. Basic Narrative

C. Engineering Department

D. Weapons Department

E. Operations Department

F.Supply Department

G. Wardroom Roster

Chronology of Events

Date   Events
01JAN-11SEP Inport - Regular Overhaul, Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Bremerton, WA
01JAN-18JAN Inport - Drydock #4 Puget Sound Naval Shipyard
19JAN Inport - Refloat the ship to Pier 5
06JUN Inport - LCDR PRICE assumes duties as Executive Officer
10JUN-18JUN Inport - Sonar Certification
12JUN-13JUN Inport - Light Off Exam for the After Engineering Plan
16JUL-31JUL Inport - Move the crew aboard the ship from the barge
24JUL-25JUL Inport - Light Off Exam for the Forward Engineering Plan
30JUL Inport - Aviation Readiness Evaluation
31JUL Inport - Aviation ASIR
05AUG-06AUG Inport - Dock Trials I
13AUG Inport - Dock Trials III
18AUG-19AUG Inport - Fast Cruise
20AUG Inport - Crew Certification II
25AUG-29AUG Underway - Sea Trials I
28AUG Underway - Ship-s 16th Birthday
29AUG Underway - Change of Command, CDR B.E. ALLEN, JR relieves CDR B.G. MOYNIHAN
4SEP-5SEP Underway - Sea Trials II
11SEP Inport - Completion of Overhaul
13SEP-16SEP Underway - Enroute to Long Beach, CA
16SEP-19SEP Inport - Long Beach, SACS CRIB
19SEP-20SEP Underway - Enroute San Diego, CA
20SEP Inport - Return Homeport to San Diego, CA
23SEP-24SEP Inport - Diesel Inspection
23SEP-25SEP Inport - Mobile Training Team I
23SEP-30SEP Underway - Systems Qualifications Tests/Weapons Systems Accuracy Tests
02OCT Inport - Weapons Onload, Seal Beach
07OCT-16OCT Underway - SQT
21OCT-23OCT Underway - CSSQT
27OCT-28OCT Inport - Dockside Underway Trainer
03NOV-07NOV Underway - Engineering Casualty Control
10NOV-15NOV Underway - Mobile Training Team II
17NOV Inport - Training Readiness Evaluation
01DEC0-05DEC Underway - Mobile Training Team III
09DEC-11DEC Underway - ISE/Engineering Casualty Control
12DEC Inport - Complete Training Readiness Evaluation
15DEC-17DEC Underway - Operational Propulsion Plant Evaluation
17DEC-31DEC Inport - Christmas Inport Period

Basic Narrative

At the beginning of 1980 WADDELL was in drydock #4 Puget Sound Naval Shipyard where she had been for the past six months.  Preparations were being made for refloating the ship by the middle of January.  On the 19th of January the ship was refloated and moored to pier #5 where she would remain until sea trials.  The remainder of the winter and spring were spent reinstalling the overhauled machinery, equipment and completion of preservation of interior spaces.

Of particular interest was the completion of the main spaces in preparation for the Light Off Examinations (LOE).  Effort was intense in the area of engineering which paid off with two very successful LOE's.  On June 6th LCDR John D. PRICE relieved CDR B. J. SCOTT as Executive Officer.  Shortly thereafter Sonar Certification was conducted on the newly installed SQQ-23A pair sonar system and the after plant LOE was completed.  Preparations for sea trials in all departments continued to gain speed during July, which climaxed in the completion of the LOE on the forward plant, the Aviation Readiness Evaluation and ASIR.

The crew also completed the move from the barge, YRBM-20, back aboard the ship during the last two weeks of July.  Though equipment was continually being installed, preservation continued and the last minute tests and certifications were being completed.  The month of August was devoted to final preparation and training for sea trials.  Two dock trials pier side were conducted early in August followed shortly by Fast Cruise conducted by COMDESRON SEVEN which prepared the crew for the upcoming sea trials.

On 25 August 1980 the mooring lines were slipped and WADDELL was underway on her own for the first time in 13 months.  On 29 August during the first sea trial CDR B.E. ALLEN, Jr., relived CDR B. G. MOYNIHAN as Commanding Officer of the WADDELL.  The Second sea trial was held in early September to correct earlier deficiencies.  The overhaul was officially completed on 11 September 1980 and WADDELL set sail for the Long Beach Sonar Accuracy Check Site, SACS Crib, on the 13th.  Being underway resulted in a definite improvement in morale even though the crew faced a very intense schedule during the fall.

The WADDELL's return to homeport was completed on 20 September following a short transit from Long Beach. The pace of operations continued to intensify with the Diesel Inspection, the arrival of the first Mobile Training Team (MTT) in preparation for Operational Propulsion Plant Examination (OPPE), and then underway for the last week of September for the Systems Qualification Tests and the Weapon Systems Accuracy Tests.  Upon the completion of the weapons onload in early October, the WADDELL was back to sea for completion of SQT/WSAT and the Combat Systems Ships Qualifications Trials.  CSSQT was an unqualified success and was marked as one of the best efforts of any ship on either coast of the DDG class in recent history.  WADDELL spent the last week of October inport utilizing the Dockside Underway Trainer in preparation for Refresher Training and future UNREPS.  The First half of November was spent training for the OPPE scheduled for mid-December.  Engineering Casualty Control (ECC) Drills were conducted constantly with the assistance of the second MTT.  The second half of November was spent in a much needed upkeep period.  The first half of December like November was again spent at sea honing the engineers into a finely tuned team.  MTT was aboard continually conducting ECC Drills.  On 12 December the Training Readiness Evaluation which affected the entire ship certified WADDELL as ready to commence Refresher Training.  On 15 December the Propulsion Examining Board arrived on board and in three days of steaming certified the plant and the engineering team.  Of special note is the fact that WADDELL was the first West Coast DDG to complete the OPPE on the first attempt in nearly a year.  The Christmas leave and upkeep period commenced upon the return to port from the OPPE.  The end of 1980 found WADDELL in a well deserved leave and upkeep period which was marked by intensified preparation for Refresher Training in early January of 1981.

Engineering Department

The Warship WADDELL began the intense year of 1980 undergoing ROH in drydock #4 of Puget Sound Naval Shipyard.  With the completion of repairs to the hull, the ship successfully undocked 19 January and moved to pier #5 where the industrial effort to refurbish the ship continued.  To assist the engineering department in preparing  for the Light Off Examinations (LOE) of the forward and after plants, the Mobile Training Team (MTT) visited the ship in February.  The assist visit was very successful and duly recognized the tremendous effort put forth by the engineering department in preparing for their visit  As another milestone towards LOE, the ship received certification for implementing the coordinated phoshate boiler water treatment program in May.  Although originally scheduled for April, the LOE of the after plant slipped 2 months as a result of shipyard delays during the course of WADDELL's overhaul.  Due to this delay, the engineering department availed itself of another MTT visit in May.  PSNS production work continued and the after plant was finally turned over to Ship's Force for one week of hands on training.  The LOE of the after plant was conducted 12-13 June and the success of the engineering department was highlighted by COMDESRON SEVEN remarking that eh material condition of the after plant established a standard for other ships to follow.  Along with the ongoing preparation for LOE forward, steam testing of the after plan commenced immediately.  After a turnover of the forward plant from PSNS to Ship's Force for hands on training, LOE forward was conducted 24-25 July.  Again, authorization to commence steam testing was granted.  During this period, as well, the ship's CHT system was certified and the move from the living barge to the ship was completed.  Following 2 weeks of doc trials and a fast cruise, sea trials commenced on 25 August.  These were successfully completed 5 September and WADDELL's overhaul ended on 12 September.

The WADDELL transited to San Diego for a change of homeport and once there, the engineering department immediately commenced a large post ROH repair package in addition to preparations for OPPE.  A pre-OPEE MTT assist visit and diesel inspection were successfully conducted 23-25 September.  Following seventeen days underway, the second pre-OPPE MTT visit ws conducted 10-15 November.  The final pre-OPPE MTT visit was held 1-6 December and emphasized engineering casualty control training.  Following a week of ECC Drilling, OPPE was successfully conducted 17-18 December.  The success of the WADDELL was again commended by COMDESRON SEVEN "WADDELL has set the Squadron DDG Standard of excellence."  After completion of this major engineering milestone, on the first attempt, WADDELL commenced the Christmas leave and upkeep period and started a new year looking forward to an even more challenging operating schedule

Weapons Department

ASW. The year 1980 marked the beginning of the PAIR sonar era for Warchip WADDELL.  The first eight months of the year were devoted to finishing the AN/SQQ-23A (PAIR) sonar installation and MK 114 UBFCS class "B" overhaul.  In addition, the AN/BQR-20A spectrum analyzer was installed and the MK 32 torpedo tubes were overhauled by F-2 Division personnel.  All divisional spaces were refurbished by F-2 and in the middle of August the ASW portion of regular ship's overhaul was complete.  The new sonar was certified on 12 September and shortly thereafter the ship departed Bremerton for the Sonar Accuracy Check Site (SACS) in Long Beach, California.  After completion of SACS the ship commenced Weapons Systems Accuracy Tests (WSAT) in the Southern California operating area near San Clemente Island.  During WSAT, all ASW systems including underwater fire control, MK-16 ASROC launching group, MK-32 torpedo tubes and AN/SQQ-23A (PAIR) sonar were certified as operationally ready.  This exhaustive testing culminated with two ASROC firings and two torpedo firings on 14 October, all evaluated as ship successful.  After WSAT, the remainder of the year was spent making exacti8ng preparations for 1981-s upcoming Refresher Training and Nuclear Weapons Acceptance Inspection.

MISSILES. During the regular overhaul at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton, Washington, the missile system underwent extensive changes which included the addition of the HARPOON Weapon System and the phase IIB update of the TARTAR Modification Program.  Many of the Warship crewman were afforded the opportunity to attend schools relating to the new installations and to improve their skills in other areas.  Examples of schools attended were the 6 week MK-74 Missile Fire Control System Course, TARTAR MK-154 Computer Complex School and HARPOON Operator and Maintenance School.

Many problems were experienced during the testing phase of the yard period.  this was expected due to the extensive changes and repairs to the missile system.  After many arduous months, the Warship conducted sea trials in August.  The missile fire control system performed to the maximum system capabilities.  The fourteen months of extensive planning, and the hard work of the Warship crew finally paid off.  The Warship was ready for operation.

Upon return to San Diego 20 September 1980 WADDELL commenced an intensive training period in preparation for WESTPAC in April 1981.  One week after arrival in San Diego, Combat Systems Ship Qualification Trials (CSSQT) commenced.  This period provided excellent training for the crew by technical experts in both the civilian community and shore based commands.  CSSQT culminated in four successful missile firings in four attempts.  WADDELL was cited by Naval Ship Weapon System Engineering Station as having one of the best and most successful CSSQT's in recent history on either coast.  The remaining two months of the year were spent undergoing engineering propulsion plant examination preparations.

In summary, the year provided many opportunities for outstanding training and varied experiences.  The missile system personnel spent long hours trouble shooting, studying, and learning their new equipment in preparation for WESTPAC '81'.

GUNS. During the fourteen month overhaul in Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, both 5"/54 MK42 MOD 10 gun mounts received class "C" overhauls.  The MK116 starshell computer and the MK16 stable element of the gun fire control system received class "B" overhauls, and the MK47 fire control computer and AN/SPG 53A fire control radar also received class "C" overhauls.  The after gun mount was reinstalled on the ship in February 1980 after structural modifications to the main deck were completed.  The gun system was completed nearly three months early and was the first major system to be turned over to ship's force.  The success of the overhaul of the gun system was demonstrated during sea trials when, after more than fourteen months since their last firing, the guns fired 115 rounds, including 40 rounds rapid continuous from mount 52, requiring only minor adjustments.

WADDELL onloaded over 200 rounds of ammunition and powders in Bangor, Washington to support sea trails.  Once in San Diego, WADDELL undertook several minor onloads, including transfers of ammunition from other ships, to support its gunnery exercises.  The exercises included surface firings for calibration and anti-aircraft firings during CSSQT/WSAT and a local shoot for spotting training.  In December 1980 WADDELL conducted a major predeployment onload in Seal Beach, California taking on nearly 700 5"/54 projectiles and over 900 powders.  Also onloaded were approximately 40,000 rounds of small arms ammunition and several hundred pyrotechnics, with the entire evolution being safely completed in approximately six hours.

DECK. 1980 dawned with the WADDELL reaching a point where the crew could begin to rebuild what had been to this point torn apart.  It was a long and often tedious task for all hands and especially for 1st Division.  The division was manned at about half strength yet work was completed at a steady pace.  During the winter months work progressed on all interior spaces such as the berthing compartment, head, lounge, anchor windlass, bos'un locker and various other spaces.  The cold and wet weather prohibited any preservation work topside.  Work began on the Motor Whaleboat and Gig in late March when the weather allowed.  The Gig was completed in late May and was used frequently.  The Motor Whaleboat was rebuilt inside by ships force including the engine and was completed in late July.  All the pieces began to fall in place late in June as the crew prepared to move back aboard.  The last major job left to complete were the weather decks.  Work began in the Middle of July and for the following four weeks 1st Division worked until sunset everyday to completely finish the 01 level and main weather decks.

Morale improved quickly as the ship took shape and sea trials drew near.  With a very inexperienced crew the ship set out to test all equipment during late August.  Every evolution such as mooring and anchoring became a major undertaking.  Sea Trials for 1st Division went smoothly and all overhauled equipments worked well, especially the Whelin Gravity Davits.  All hands were busy getting organized and oriented to shipboard life including the art and procedures of standing bridge watches.  Morale was very good for the transit to Long Beach where the finishing cosmetic touches were applied to the exterior for our return to San Diego.

Upon the return to San Diego work did not slow down.  Efforts were concentrated on preparing all equipment for evolutions that would be required during Refresher Training and WESTPAC shortly thereafter.  All preps and inspections for WESTPAC had to be completed within the short period of 7 months.

Needless to say between training, rebuilding PMS, preservation and preparing for Refresher Training, 1st Division had very little time to enjoy the sunny Southern California weather.  Frequent underway periods followed by two or three days inport hampered preservation, yet the work got done.

Operations Department

In April to June 1980 the AN/SPS-10B was replaced with the AN/SPS 10-F, the Omega was replaced by the AN/SRN-19 Satellite Navigation Set and in radio the NAVMACS A Plus System was installed.

A Postal Inspection was held on 24 March.  No major discrepances were noted, the overall operations of the post office was considered to be excellent.

NAVMACS V2 Suite (Automated Communications Processing System) installed during the overhaul has made the radioman's job much easier and permits manning at a reduced level.  A computer now performs duties that were previously done by 1 or 2 additional radiomen.

A second WSC-3 (Satellite Transceiver) installed in November 1980 gave us a Fleet Satellite Secure Voice capability.

The ship made extensive use of formal schools, especially while in overhaul and took advantage of over 100 opportunities to send personnel to a variety of schools - ranging from "A" Schools and Basic Fire Fighting to advanced Team Trainers and lengthy technical maintenance schools.

Supply Department

Calendar year 1980 was a year of constant motion for the Supply Department.  The beginning of the year found the department in the midst of an overhaul at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Bremerton, Washington.  The stores division was working on two fronts; one working with the SOAP team revising the COSAL and repair parts inventory, and the other on the ship's barge processing requisitions and keeping the paper work flowing.  Meals were sold to the officer's on a cash sale basis from the Enlisted Dining Facility while the enlisted personnel were on COMRATS.  The service outlets (laundry, ship's store and barbershop) were also in operation on the barge.  All the while the Supply Department overhaul team was overseeing the refurbishing of the Enlisted dining Facility, galley and berthing spaces.

The completion of overhaul in September brought a drastic change in the way the department did business.  The ship changed her homeport from Bremerton, Washington to San Diego, California bringing about a flurry of paperwork for the Disbursing Office; change of homeport travel, advance pay and career sea pay.  While still in Bremerton all storeroom repair parts had to be transferred from the warehouse to the ship, the food service team began to work out of the galley and the ship's servicemen moved into their respective spaces providing the crew with an enthusiastic service attitude.  Sea trials, working the bugs out of new systems, SQT/WSAT and Operational Propulsion Plant Examinations kept the schedule hectic to say the least.  Throughout it all the Supply Department kept their "Service to the Fleet" attitude and provided all customers the best service available.


CDR Benjamin E. ALLEN, Jr. Commanding Officer
LCDR John D. PRICE Executive Officer
LCDR Ronald R. MARTIN Weapons Officer
LCDR Kevin J. TACKETT Engineering Officer
LT Thomas BANFORD Supply Officer
LT Lewis A. CAUSEY Operations Officer
LTJG Forrest L. TOUCHBERRY Main Propulsion Assistant
LTJG William A. DICKEN Damage Control Assistant
LTJG Joseph E. ESTRADA Electronic Material Officer
LTJG David L. WILKINSON Navigator
LTJG Roy GIBBENS III Auxiliaries Officer
LTJG David M. PERDUE Fire Control Officer
LTJG Paul K. REIMANN M Division Officer
ENS Douglas S. MURRAY Assistant CIC Officer
ENS David R. HOOKE Communications Officer
ENS Carl A. HARRIS First Lieutenant
ENS Erich P. SACKEN Gunnery Officer
ENS Stephen C. ERTMAN Electrical Officer
ENS John F. ERICKSON Disbursing Officer
ENS Thomas A JORDAN Boiler Officer