1965 Command Narrative

In January of 1965, operating from her homeport of Long Beach, California, USS WADDELL commanded by CDR Carl J. Boyd, USN, successfully completed her final acceptance trials. In February she entered a pre-shakedown availability period at Long Beach Naval Shipyard with lasted until mid-April. In early May WADDELL sailed to San Diego, California, for shakedown training. She returned to Long Beach in mid-June.

In July WADDELL reported for duty to Commander First Fleet and became the flagship of Commander Destroyer Division 132, CAPT R. J. NORMAN, USN. From mid-June she was engaged in fleet exercises, upkeep periods and pre-deployment preparations until 28 September when she deployed to the Western Pacific area in company with Destroyer Division 132 and USS TICONDEROGA (CVA 14). on 17 August WADDELL was responsible for rescuing CDR Charles H. Peters, USN, pilot of a jet aircraft which crashed in the sea off Southern California.

Between 4 and 18 October WADDELL conducted daily operations out of Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, departing on the 18th for Subic Bay, Republic of the Philippines. Prior to her arrival she was instrumental in saving the life of a Japanese merchant ship crew member who had been seriously burned in an explosion on board the TOKEI MARU. WADDELL arrived in Subic Bay on 1 November and departed for special operations with Seventh Fleet units in the Tonkin Gulf the following day. On 16 November she returned to Subic Bay and was underway for Danang, Republic of Vietnam, on 22 November. WADDELL conducted training operations in the Danang area between 24 and 28 November, and conducted search and rescue operations in support of Seventh Fleet units in the Tonkin Gulf and South China Sea until 31 December when she took departure for Sasebo, Japan.

4 FEB 1966

Fleet Training Exercises


26 August-3 September 1965

The Fleet Exercise HOT STOVE was primarily Anti-Air Warfare and Electronic Warfare. WADDELL's functions in this exercise were divided among many phases of Naval Warfare. Throughout the exercise WADDELL steamed in company with USS TICONDEROGA (CVA-14) as a member of TG 13.1 and 13.3. WADDELL was assigned the mission of screening the TICONDEROGA in a simulated hostile submarine environment, proving medium range missile protection when in a simulated hostile Anti-Air Warfare environment, plane guard during flight operations and providing protection against simulated hostile surface contacts. WADDELL completed three underway replenishments, two refuelings and one simulated taking on ammunition. One simulated PT boat attack took place on 28 August which was successfully repelled. Two missiles were fired during this exercise.

Narratives by Departments


SPS-40 The AN/SPS-40 radar also provided a substantial share of the problems encountered during the first half of 1965. Most of the casualties occurred in Unit 6; the LPA tubes were replaced a number of times after an average life of 30 hours. A wide variety of other failures occurred in Unit 6 which contributed to the brief life span of the LPA tubes. Some problems were also encountered with heating due to both water cooling problems and inadequate space cooling which resulted in high temperatures. The SPS-40 antenna required removal due to excessive antenna rotation noise. Inspection showed that the pedestal was warped on the top face so that the antenna was when the antenna was tightened the resulting strain on the main gear and bearings caused their early failure.


In January 1965, the Ship participated in a TORPEX with the USS SWAN, in socal OPAREA and there was no significant increase in message traffic.

In February 1965, the WADDELL entered Long Beach Naval Shipyard for pending SHIPALTS to radio central. At this time the Equipment arrangement, which was closely similar to the present, was installed. At this time radio central was separated from secure teletype area and the designation of those spaces was changed. During May 1965, the Ship put to sea for a series of sea trials with little significant increase in traffic noted.

During June and July 1965, the ship was assigned to COMFLETRAGRU for shake down training. During this employment a significant increase in message traffic was noted. During August 1965 the ship participated in exercise "HOT STOVE". During this exercise it was discovered that the onboard allowance of 3 high FREQ XMTRS (1 URC 32, 2 WRT2's) was insufficient to meet operational requirements.

In September 1965, the ship commenced fitting out for WESTPAC. During the month of August the ship was assigned tender availability in Long Beach. On September 28 the Ship departed homeport and arrived Pearl 4 October 1965. While at Pearl the ship was fitted with an additional URC-32, which, due to space limitations was installed in the proposed HICAPCOM Room. On 28 October the ship began transit from pearl to Subic and soon after arrival there began transit to search and rescue station (SAR) as CTU 77.0.1. During these transit periods, traffic load increased sharply with the additional traffic load accountable to the change in guard requirements

There was a significant increase of classified high-precedence traffic during the ship's assignment as SAR Flagship. Traffic was on an average increase of 60 to 150 messages per day reaching its peak of 250 to 300 per day, while on duty as SAR Flagship. After releiving the USS STRAUSS as SAR Flagship, the ship was required to guard TG ORESTES, and a new circuit, SAR ORESTES, which was a new concept. With the new circuit and guard requirements, communications went into port/STBD sections with 2 RM1's as supervisors. There was a total of 16 RM's onboard at this time. In addition to the new circuit guard requirements, the ship copied for the first time the GRTT/GROT broadcast requirements without difficulty. While SAR Flagship WADDELL" radiomen helped improve and introduce numerous improvements in the special ORESTES procedures. Working in close support of the communications of the USS STRAUSS who was flagship at the time, WADDELL helped deliver and relay an average of 100 to 200 messages per day to other ships on the special ORESTES circuit.

Operations Schedule

January Two weeks in port Long Beach
25-27 Final Acceptance Trials
28-31 In port Long Beach
1-7 In port Long Beach
8-9 Torpedo Firing Tests
10-11 Enroute to San Francisco
12-15 In port San Francisco
16-17 Enroute to Long Beach
19-28 Post Construction Availability
March Post Construction Availability
April Post Construction Availability
1-5 Post Construction Availability
6 Shakedown Readiness Inspection (COMDESDIV 132)
7-9 In port Long Beach
10-11 Ammunition Loadout Seal Beach
12 Enroute Concord
13-14 Missile Loadout Concord
15 Enroute Long Beach
16-31 ISE/RFS
June Shakedown Training
1-17 Shakedown Training
18-31 In port Long Beach
1-8 ISE/Inport Long Beach
9 Pre-Deployment Ordnance Inspection
10-18 ISE/In port Long Beach
19-23 Weapons Exercises with USS TICONDEROGA (CVA-14) and USS SAMUEL N. MOORE (DD-747).
24 In port Long Beach
26-31 Fleet Exercise Hot Stove
1-3 Fleet Exercise Hot Stove
4-27 Preparation for Overseas Movement (In port Long Beach)
28-30 Enroute from Long Beach to Pearl Harbor (In company with UT 14.6.3)
1-3 Enroute from Long Beach to Pearl Harbor
4 In port Pearl Harbor
5-8 Type Training Pearl Harbor Operating Areas
9-17 In port Pearl Harbor
18-31 Enroute to Subic Bay (Chop to TG 77.5)
1 In port Subic Bay
2-14 Yankee Station (W-5) assigned TU 77.0.2 COMDESDIV 132 CTU 77.0.2)
15-18 In port Subic Bay
19-21 Local operations Subic Bay Operations Areas
22-24 Enroute Danang (assigned TU 70.8.8)
24 In port Danang
24-29 Enroute Northern SAR Station
29-30 Northern SAR (assigned TU 77.0.1) COMDESDIV 132 CTU 77.0.1
1-31 Northern SAR (assigned TU 77.0.1) COMDESDIV 132 CTU 77.0.1